Thursday, January 22, 2009

for the love...

of money!!

yes olivia's new passion and love is money!! let me explain.

about a week ago we went over to my grandparents apartment for a little visit. while we were there, my brother came over too. sean is unmarried and a hard-working cook so my grandparents still give him a little cash each time they see him. (i no longer enjoy this perk!) anyway, olivia saw this transaction take place and she wanted in! she asked for some money too! she was given a dollar. i thought she would be thrilled since we never give her more than a dime or maybe a quarter. her response was, "i think i need 3 dollars since i am 3 years old!" my grandfather thought this was hilarious and would never say no to his only great grand-daughter, so he pulled 2 more dollar bills out of his wallet. olivia thanked him and carried her money proudly around the apartment for the remainder of our visit. we left, money still tightly in hand, and when we got home she went and put the money in her new wallet that she got for christmas. the next morning we were in the car and she started singing one of her famous "olivia" songs (songs about what ever is on her mind put a familiar tune). i recognized the tune, "where is thumbkin?" but the song was new...

"i love money, i love money,
yes i do!
it is my favorite.
it helps you buy things.
i love money! i love money!"

i was mordified!! i have failed as parent! where in the world did she get this idea! these were my thoughts, then i composed myself and responded, "olivia, we have to have money to buy things like food and clothes, but the bible tells us that we should not love money. we are to love God." she looked at me, and then said, "well mommy, i think i am going to love money and God. (singing again) i love money, i love money..."

oh dear! so please don't judge us if you see us in public and olivia is proclaiming her love of money. we are working on it at home. oh and prayers would be appreciated that my sweet little girl gets over her obsession with money!

11 comments:

MISTY and CO... said...

what a smart little girl! that is so funny AND age appropriate. wink. wink.

i know for a fact one of the FIRST songs she belted out was "jesus loves me" and that was followed by "the B-I-B-L-E"....

i am surprised she has not piggy-backed a song about her love for target, yet.....HA!

Nana/Mom/Nancy said...

Do I dare say.....like mother like daughter.....of course, with GREAT appreciation and balance! Ha!

Christine said...

This made me LOL! Thanks Stephanie!

SarahFifer said...

That's hilarious!

kinsey said...

i'm sorry, but this made me laugh so hard. i think it is the cutest and you should have NOTHING to be embarrassed about! she is hilarious!!

SarahFifer said...

Happy belated birthday to Big Mike - one of my favorite peeps in this world. You are truly lucky to have him Steph. Hi Livadas, Peace!
- Christman

Kimberly said...

This is just too funny! Where do children conjure up these concepts when we as parents don't go around teaching them? I think it's one of those stories you'll want to remember forever and I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job teaching her the balance between worldly and Godly needs/wants.

Laura said...

So funny...I LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha well I guess it's time to start busting out the verses about how you cannot have two masters. It's either God or money. Make her memorize it and put THAT to a song! ;)

Lane and Cole and Reed said...

so cute! lividas is hilarious! such a talent - - to put her own words to songs. never mind what those words are!!

Lane and Cole and Reed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.