Monday, August 22, 2011

the first day...

of kindergarten was FANTASTIC!!

here is our sweet kindergartener ready to walk to school...
she was so excited to get to school and begin this new chapter in her life. i was so thankful she was full of smiles. such an answer to my prayers!!

we arrived at her school, posed for a few more pictures...
in front of the school. (i hope to take this pic every year. she looks so small now, that will change.)
then after a short walk from being greeted by the principal to her class it started to hit me-- this is really happening!! she is going to be in school 5 days a week, all day!! oh my!!

she was thrilled to see her teacher and even let me take ANOTHER picture.
o & ms. pattillo. isn't she darling? the teacher and o. :)

she found the perfect hook for her backpack, found her name tag, and then her spot on the carpet, and diligently began reading at the books waiting for her. such a good student!!

as we waved good-bye one last time and walked out of the building, i have to admit, i was a little teary-eyed. a bit unexpected from me, and i continued to fight some tears as we walked home. i just can't believe that she is almost 6 years old and in kindergarten!!

i wondered all day what she was doing? is she was meeting friends? did she like her lunch? will she want to go back tomorrow?

when i greeted her after school, she was still full of smiles and stories from the day!! success!!

after school, we had a date with the fifer girls and all the grandparents at mcdonalds for ice cream and to tell everyone about the first day. the kids were more interested in the ice cream and playing, but their faces lit up to see all the grandparents there to give them hugs and smiles.

at home i made a special "first day of kindergarten dinner" for her. she had picked the menu a few days ago (spaghetti & meatballs, ceasar salad AND fruit salad, bread, and chocolate pudding), but i surprised her with a few (last-minute) decorations to make dinner feel extra special. :)
i am so thankful that day one was a success from every aspect. i am humbled that the lord gave me the gift of this sweet little girl to love and experience life with day after day. i am reminded that he gave me this gift with the promise that he is there at each step of the way, always watching over her. he is always near. thank you god for your indescribable gift and your faithfulness, unending love, protection, and hearing my prayers.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Steph, you are so precious! I love how you made her the special dinner! I'm sure she felt very loved on her first day of school.

Aggie98 said...

great post! O looked beautiful of course. I love all your decor. I need pics of the kitchen!! :)

Fifer Furnishings said...

So :) Olivia has done so well this week. Sweet girl!!

kinsey said...

so glad it went well! she's adorable. i'm tearing up reading about her day...LORD help me when it's my own ;-)

Ana said...

Love this! I can't believe she is in kindergarten already!!! She looks adorable holding Mark's hand. I think it's safe to say that you will be wondering what she is doing on her first day of school for the next 12 years.