Monday, January 4, 2010

i've been inspired..

by the pioneer woman...
i got her cookbook for christmas and can't stop making her yummy comfort food. every recipe sounds delicious, and those that i have tried have not disappointed me a bit! not really helping with the new year's goal of eating healthy, but there is always next week to start on that right! ;)

and the movie julie & julia...
over the holidays i also finally saw the movie. it was so great and inspired me to start cooking again. i really do love it, just have to make myself go to the grocery store and find things that excite me. i am going to attempt some julia recipes soon! :)

so with those two inspirations this blog entry was born... a recap of all the pw dishes i have cooked up and my opinions of each.

the pw cookbook is one of the best cookbooks i have ever received. just like on her blog (which is fabulous, if you are one of the last people that don't read it!) she takes pictures throughout the cooking process. so not only do you have a picture of the final product, but what it should look like along the way!! so helpful, at least to me!!

in the last week i have made... (sorry i have no pictures, i never dreamed i would write a blog post about all this cookin')

simple, perfect chili-- i would say the title sums up the dish perfectly. i made it last night since it was cold and we were just bein' lazy watching football. my kids, my husband, and i all gobbled it up! mark and jack liked their with rice, while o and i preferred ours with some crunchy fritos.

twice-baked potatoes-- yummmm! they were so good!! we had these new year's eve at the lake with family and friends. there were no complaints and several people went back for seconds! that's success to me. pw (pioneer woman) says they freeze really well, so i think i might make them again soon and freeze a big ole batch so i can pull them out and have an instant side for our weeknight meals.

cheese grits-- mmm, mmm, good! our good friends, ivy and drew, came to the lake new year's day to hang out. ivy loves to cook and she brought her pw cookbook, so we decided to whip up a few items for dinner. we had so much fun planning and cooking together. the grits were a side dish to our dinner and they were good. mark and ivy had some leftovers for breakfast the next morning and said they got better overnight! :)

steak with whiskey cream sauce-- delish!! i actually made this two nights in a row. the first was new year's eve. followed the recipe, but added some mushrooms. so good. no leftovers!! :) then drew and ivy came and we decided to do steak again, so we HAD to make some more sauce. this time no mushrooms, but just as tasty!! i can't seem to make it as thick as in the book, but it is still tasty!!

homemade ranch-- is ranch ever bad? the correct answer is no, but this ranch was oh so good! we served it over a wedge salad and with the jalapeno poppers. it was also consumed with some tortilla chips because it was that good!

olivia cheese bread-- good if you like olives. honestly, this one has been my least favorite recipe, but it was still good, especially if you like olives.

bbq jalapeno poppers-- perfect!! perfect amount of heat, sweetness, cheese, and salt from the bacon. and absolutely divine when dunked in the homemade ranch. these might take the prize for "best recipe tried so far"! so, so good!!

and the "cookin' pw style" hasn't stopped! on tonight's menu- chicken spaghetti. it is already made up and ready to pop in the oven closer to dinner time. the few tastes i have had are really good. looking forward to dinner tonight.

10 comments:

Nana/Mom/Nancy said...

The twice baked potatoes were the best I've ever had....not too much of anything...just enough to taste the potatoes, cheese....yummy!

Rogers Family said...

WOW Steph...when can I come over? I am impressed!! It was so GREAT seeing you and Jack-Jack today. It makes LG so much fun for ME!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I really want to see that movie! I'll probably have to wait until it's on video and rent it for myself! :)

And I really, REALLY hate cooking, especially after working all day. I'm trying to give myself a workable schedule of cooking three times per week. Sounds pathetic, but I HATE it!

maryh said...

way to go steph. can't wait to be the recipient of your new hobby. do you get rachael ray's magazine? i try recipes from it every month - its a great magazine.

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I also got that cookbook and have made the Tomato Soup and Mashed Potatoes. From her website I made Potato Bundles and the New Years Black Eyed Pea Salsa. All were yummy.

Ivy said...

Yum! Thanks for letting me be a part of the PW test kitchen.

I made the egg in a hole and the breakfast potatoes. These recipes are ALWAYS a hit!

Meredelicious said...

I guess I am the Last Person that hasn't read Pioneer Woman. Okay...okay...I will go there right now. I am going...see...gone.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tom, ashley, hudson, and sinclair said...

I will have to check out that book. I thought that movie was so cute & inspiring, too! When you see my mom, you need to have her do her Julia Childs impression. Classic. Love you!

The Bindras said...

Steph- love the cookbook, love YOU! And, love love love PW's cinnamon rolls. Delicious! And much easier than anticipated. Plenty to share. I've also made her sheetcake (for Julie's bday treat), the enchiladas (but with smoked brisket), egg in a hole, the artichoke dip, the rosemary potatoes (possibly the best I've ever had), the brisket, mashed potatoes, blackberry cobbler, MM's favorite sandwich and I am dying to make the mocha brownies. LOVE IT! are we crazy or what??