Friday, August 22, 2008

just some thoughts...

i don't really have any funny stories to share about my adorable children, but i haven't blogged in a few days, so i thought i might just share a few of my thoughts from this week.

#1 it is official i am no longer employed by RISD and it is becoming so real. for the past 7 years of my life i have spent this week sitting in meetings, cutting out lamination, sweating, stapling, painting, personalizing things, making 13 trips to the teacher store for just one more thing, organizing, feeling stressed & excited at the same time, and all that goes with getting ready for a new school year. (all you teachers out there understand.) well, this year i did have some stress and i am sure sweat a little, but no teacher meetings or hanging up bulletin boards. this week i feel like i have officially started my job as full-time mom-- laundry, washing bottles, going to chick-fil-a, cleaning, and going to playdates. i love all of those things, but i would be lying if i didn't admit that i have had some sad moments. i miss the smell of new crayons, the energy that fills a school as everyone is preparing, the friends, the satisfaction of looking aroud perfectly organized classroom that you have been working in for days (without air conditioning), and the anticipation of the challenges that each new school year brings.

#2 i am feeling very emotional about my niece starting kindergarten and it is freaking me out just a bit! i think "aunt flow's monthly visit" might have something to do with it, but seriously i can't even imagine what an emotional wreck i am going to be when it is olivia. i just hope that sarah (that's abby's mommy) is holding up better than me and will have lots of advice when i am in her shoes in a few years. i am really excited for abby. and i want to say one more time how much i love abby! she is going to be the best kindergarter ever!! a teachers dream- smart, full of personality, a rule follower, helper, kind to others, and enthusiastic about learning!

#3 i love the olympics!!! these last 2 weeks they have consumed me. i have switched to watching the "today show" in the morning from "good morning america" (i know some of you have the opinion that this is should be a permenent decision, but i miss diane, robin, and channel 8 news/weather/traffic) so that i can get the inside stories. i stay up way too late (like 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. watching the "late night games." and i am already sad about the closing ceremony and the games being over for another 4 years. the summer olympics are so great! this is going to sound super cheesy, but i have felt so proud to be an american and really feel like the athletes have represented our country well. i am such a dork, i know!

#4 the most relaxing 15 minutes of my day is my shower. don't misunderstand me, i have always enjoyed showering, but since having 2 little ones at home i APPRECIATE the shower more. it is literally the only time that everyone allows me to be alone. i sometimes feel like every other minute of the day is filled with others and i just need a little alone time every day. so last night i found myself making the shower take as long as i possibly could. is that sad? i hope not because i don't mean it that way. just funny how things i never thought would be different, like showers, change as life changes for me.

#5 will someone tell me how to fit everything in one 24 hour period? laundry, cooking, cleaning, feeding baby, diaper changing, potty training, having friends, watching olympics, spending time with husband, and still have time to read a book, oh and don't forget sleep. i know the obvious is to cut out olympics, but i still don't think i would have enough time.

this is so wordy and probably so boring, but for me it has been very therapeutic. so thanks! i can now see that this has been a significant week for me. lots of changes and many new realities. i am feeling a bit overwhelmed at this moment, but very soon (like tomorrow) i will calm down and be so excited about the next stage in my life.

12 comments:

Nana/Mom/Nancy said...

Oh my sweet daughter - yes, another "avenue" in your life - appreciation for those showers - you are definately the BEST mom in the world (I've always thought so!)
I'm so glad you are once again, appreciating the small things in life!
Hugs, Mom

Christine said...

Stephanie, thanks for this insight into full-time motherhood. I guess it can be bittersweet at first just like any new stage in life...leaving for college, getting married, etc. I know you are going to be wonderful at it!

Julie said...

Stephanie:
I have so loved reading your blog since I received your precious birth announcement. You make the most gorgeous children!
You are absolutely making the right choice to be a full-time mommy. I did that for 8 years, and would not trade that mom time for anything!
Love you, and miss you.
Julie Wilson

kinsey said...

i love all of your random thoughts! you are so lucky to be staying home with 2 sweet babies...

Rogers Family said...

Steph, all that you said we all can relate with. I to love my showers. I stand there and just think without anyone saying my name. Except for those times Ryan runs in the bathroom and opens the door and wants me to do something....go ask daddy I calmy tell him. Heee You are a GREAT mom and Olivia and Jack/Jake :) are so lucky to have you.

3boysmom said...

I am with you about being so sad about the Olympics. I have actually watched strange, kind of boring things, like rowing, at 2 in the morning when I'm nursing. I will even miss that. And I have missed Good Morning America too! I miss my Robyn!
And I have decided that some days there are just not 24 hours. God somehow takes some time away. And you just accept it and do the best you can. Your kids will remember you, not how clean your house or laundry is!

Missy said...

I like your random thoughts. Of course, that is coming from me where all things random are also awesome.

Just so you know, I never fit everything in. I know you are a person that has typically fit things in, but it is ok to not fit everything in. I fit less and less in with each child.

I think you are doing a great job.

missy

SarahFifer said...

Thank you for making me cry for about the 8th time today - so no, I'm not holding up better than you. And I hate to tell you that I think the fitting it all in is getting harder as they get older - or I'm just getting older and slower and crazier - not sure which it is. But the great thing is we are not alone - there's not a mom on earth that hasn't been there and that is becoming more comforting to me along the way. i agree with christy - our kids will not remember our clean (or not clean) house, they will remember us! Proud of you sis!!

Aggie98 said...

Other than the teacher part, I could cut and paste your blog into mine! I do miss parts of working, however, just in a different arena. Also, I am totally obsessed with the Olympics too...and so then we are both dorks! Loved loved loved your entry! Celena

MISTY and CO... said...

hmmmm,
1. that feeling of missing work never really goes away. ...it just is filled with new feelings :)

2. abby is blessed to have an auntie that loves her so much....

3. can you imagine being an olympic athlete's MOM?? when they show the parents in the stands cheering on their child, i always think of how i could or would handle myself.....much less kindergarten :)

4. the shower is the most blessed event of my day....when i get one! Ewwwww!

5. when this one gets answered, forward the answer to me!

6. i love our blogs ;)

Shelly said...

Yeah!! Another blogger found! It is so fun to see you and what a cute family you have, it has been MaNy MaNy years. I am exited to keep intouch with you this way. You are a great writer, I enjoyed reading! I was just telling my husband "there is never enough time in a day to get everything done." If you figure out how please share!

The Bindras said...

Steph! you rock! love all of your random thoughts. I, too, love the shower. Except for the other morning (before we went to your lakehouse- such a great time!) when the girls were all up while I was showering...good times in the shower with Kylie and Gracie poking their heads in, commenting (yikes), getting wet, slipping on the puddles of water. Amby was loading the car, I think. You'd think I'd know better!! No shower is worse than a bad shower! and no, you can't fit everything in! Think about it this way: you always have something to look forward to doing (haha) the next day!! And seriously, laundry never ever ends...